Do not allow the abuse of works by legalists to make you prevaricate concerning the question of salvation and works.
Is eternal salvation obtained by works?
Is eternal salvation maintained by works?
Hmmm..if you did not get it by works how can you maintain it by works?
Brother, can you tell me the difference between evil works, dead works, and good works?
2 Peter 1:10
Therefore, brethren, be even more diligent to make your call and election sure, for if you do these things you will never stumble;
Because of this, brethren, be all the more solicitous and eager to make sure (to ratify, to strengthen, to make steadfast) your calling and election; for if you do this, you will never stumble or fall.
Read verse 3 and see that God has given us all things, and then says ADD them to your faith.
What you are adding, is it from you or from God?
Is it your works or His works?
Read Philippians 2 and see that God has worked everything in, and said work it out.
“Sir, it is work out, not work for!”
“Sir, with all due ‘wordspect’. Please, shut up!”
The question is this: “Is salvation maintained by works?
When you are maintaining something, are you working for it? If I give you a house, and say occupy till I come, maintain it for me
Are you working to get the house?”
“No Sir, but but but…”
“See your head! But what?
If I give you a house and say maintain it, and you maintain it like a house, then I won’t take it from you; but if you turn it into a brothel, and I warn you several times, but you don’t listen, I will shake you out of my house.
Now listen, don’t let people say many things together that are unrelated just to deceive you. Okay?”
Do you work for salvation. No.
Do you work out salvation? Yes.
Do dead works or works of the law maintain salvation? No
Does salvation COME WITH ITS OWN WORKS? YES, IT DOES.
Do you maintain salvation by keeping laws? No
Do you maintain salvation by working out everything God has already given you? Yes.
Is it your maintenance that guarantees your salvation. No.
Is it your maintenance that proves your salvation is guaranteed?
2 Peter 1:10
(New Living Translation) So, dear brothers and sisters, work hard to prove that you really are among those God has called and chosen. Doing this, you will never stumble or fall away.
If you are not working anything out,
Day in, day out
You do not believe in your heart
You only believe with your mouth
That is not living faith
That is dead doubt.
If you believe the lie that works have nothing to do with salvation, you won’t walk in the Spirit, you keep walking in the flesh, you resist the Holy Spirit, you don’t mortify the evil deeds of the body
What will happen to you?
So then, brothers and sisters, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh–
For if you live according to the flesh, YOU WILL DIE.
The serpent says “You will not surely die”
He is still speaking the same lie through false teachers, even to the church (see 2 Corinthians 11:3)
Brother, the Bible says “you will die”.
Amplified says, you will surely die.
NLT says, you will perish.
See that word “debtors” in the 12th verse?
Hey you, Mr. Anti-maintenance, I’m talking to you.
Do you see that word “debtors”?
“Yes, I do”
It means obligation, or duty. We have an OBLIGATION to live right and work that which is good. It is something that has to be done.
It is not optional
It is not a question of if or maybe or probably
It is an obligation
It is living by the power of the Spirit
It is work(s)
And if you walk in the Spirit, and mortify the carnal tendencies of the body, walk in love and obey the gospel, what will happen to you?
But if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, YOU WILL LIVE.
1. Finished Works of Christ
2. Current ministry of the Holy Spirit.
1. We have been delivered from darkness
2. We cast off the works of darkness
1. We have been made light
2. We put on the armor of light and walk in the light
1. We are in the Spirit
2. We choose to walk in the Spirit
1. We are not in the flesh
2. We choose to not walk after the flesh
1. The old man has been crucified with Christ
2. We mortify its members and evil deeds
1. The old man is crucified with Christ
2. We put off the old man
1. We have been recreated in Christ
2. We put on the new man
1. We have been made the righteousness of God in Christ
2. We live righteously
1. We have been sanctified and made holy
2. We pursue holiness
1. We have been forgiven
2. We repent and confess our sins
1. The Spirit of God lives in us
2. We follow the leading of the Spirit
1. The blood of Christ cleanses us
2. We cleanse ourselves from every filth
1. The Father is pleased with us
2. We live to please the Father
1. God so loved us
2. We love God
1. God is reconciling the world to Himself
2. We love men; we persuade them; we warn them.
1. God is working salvation in us.
2. We are working out that salvation.
1. Objective: accomplished for us in Christ without our active participation
2. Subjective: being accomplished in us right now through our active participation.
You say salvation has nothing to do with works.
O boy, I say it has.
You say salvation is not maintained by works.
I say IT IS!